Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pregnancy Memory: Our gender reveal party!

Kyle and I both agreed to find our the gender of our new baby but instead of finding out at the doctor's appointment we decided to have our family over for a "gender reveal" party. We decided to have the party the night of the ultrasound as there would be no way we'd be able to sleep with the gender envelope in our possession. In order to have the party that night we had to order two cakes, one with strawberry filling (for girl) and one with blue frosting (for boy...blueberry was not an option). The real reason for the ultrasound was to make sure we were carrying a healthy baby (which we were!). Once we heard all organs were accounted for we left with the gender envelope and pictures in hand and headed home to get ready for the party. Since our appointment ran a little late we had my parents pick up the cakes at the bakery. Per their story at the bakery the clerk ripped off the labels which designated which cake belonged to each gender. Handing them two identical cakes! When my mom asked how they were suppose to know which cake to cut into the clerk told her he wasnt sure but that "they'd laugh about this in 10 years!!". Instead of guessing which cake was what and ruining the point of a gender reveal party my parents went home and inserted toothpicks into each cake until a small amount of blue frosting appeared :) thanks to them the gender reveal was still on!
My good friend Katie came over prior to the party to open the gender envelope and designate which cake we were suppose to cut. I remember hugging her as she left and my excitement building as someone besides the perinatologist knew whether we were having a boy or a girl. As you can see below I thought we were having a boy and Kyle thought girl.



 Based on old wive's tales it was 50/50 girl/boy. I mostly thought boy based on the comparison of my mom's pregnancies but as you know I was wrong! I'm not sure if anyone has a picture of our faces as we cut the cake but I'm pretty sure I looked shocked when I saw the pink! The gender party was such a fun way to find out we were having a girl I wouldn't have done it any other way :) I've seen some really creative gender reveal parties on Pinterest and love the idea of the balloons in a box. Maybe for next time :)



No comments:

Post a Comment