Thursday, January 17, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

This is a recipe I adapted while on maternity leave. I was hungry all the time while nursing Brynn and could go through a box of granola bars in 2 days. And when they were gone at 2 AM I was not happy... so needless to say I sought out how to make my own more out of desperation. Additionally oatmeal is really good for nursing moms, it can actually increase the amount of milk you make (thus increase how many calories you burn). I personally did not have an issue with low supply but with one addition these bars would be great "lactation cookies".

This is the original recipe: Playgroup Granola Bars which are fine in their own right but they were a little too crunchy and sweet for me so here is my version. I substitute applesauce for 1/2 the oil which makes the bars nice and moist and healthier at the same time. Additionally I reduced the sugar and added ground flax seed (found in the baking aisle) to add omega-3s which are important while breastfeeding. If you are using the bars to help increase your milk production you can also add brewer's yeast (found in the health food section of the grocery store).

I made 4 batches prior to going back to work and ate them for breakfast every day. The first day I went back to work I actually didn't bring enough food and found myself down at our convenience store buying something because I was "starving" (which I rarely do because I coach people on how to eat healthy snacks and I don't like being seen down there buying a cookie!!)

**Note the recipe below makes two full 9 x13 pans and it should be 1/2 CUP of wheat germ/7 grain cereal


No comments:

Post a Comment